First Star Wars Spinoff Loses Writer
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Star Wars spinoff scheduled for 2016 has lost its writer. Gary Whitta is no longer writing the film after a year on the project. In a statement he says, "The year I spent working with Lucasfilm on this Star Wars film has been by far the most rewarding period of my entire career. As a lifelong Star Wars fan I’m deeply grateful to have had the rare opportunity to contribute to a new chapter in its ongoing cinematic legacy. The film is going to be amazing."
Director Gareth Edwards, who is still attached said, "Gary has been a wonderful, inspired contributor and I enjoyed working with him tremendously. I’m so grateful for all of his contributions.”
Whitta took to Twitter to share his enthusiasm for the project.
My year of work in a galaxy far, far away is done! I’m onto my next project, adapting @mrmarkmillar’s STARLIGHT for 20th Century Fox!
— Gary Whitta (@garywhitta) January 10, 2015
This is by far the most I’ve ever enjoyed writing a title page. See you in 2016! #MTFBWY pic.twitter.com/Wr3Ij1XUKj
— Gary Whitta (@garywhitta) January 10, 2015
Neither Lucasfilm nor Disney commented on the change in writers. Previously, Star Wars: Episode VII lost its original writer Michael Arndt as the project transitioned to Lawrence Kasdan and director J.J. Abrams.
The Star Wars spinoff currently has a release date of December 16, 2016.